Bethesda Historical Society

Suburban Hospital

On December 13, 1943, Suburban Hospital opened its doors as a 130-bed hospital to accommodate the growing population in Montgomery County, Maryland and expected demand for medical services during World War II. In its first full year, the small facility, consisting of several one-story cottages, admitted 3,000 patients and had an operating budget of $13,000. 

In 1950, the hospital was purchased by the community from the federal government for $125,000. During the late 1950s, the hospital experienced a severe shortage of beds, requiring administrators to enclose sun porches and convert clinic space to accommodate patients. To alleviate the overflow of patients, the Suburban Hospital Association developed a master facility plan to construct three new wings over the next decade.

Read more at History of Suburban Hospital on the Johns Hopkins Medicine website