Bethesda Country Club
The establishment now known as Bethesda Country Club began its illustrious history when the Bethesda Country Club Corporation purchased the current site from the Washington Aviation Country Club in 1947. The 156-acre plot consisted of a clubhouse, two tennis courts, nine-hole golf course, and sold for $360,000. The 81 original members of BCC began to make the momentous journey towards the outstanding club present today.
The Montgomery Country Club purchased the original farmland on the site in 1913. The farmhouse on the plot was converted to serve as the clubhouse. As there was no road leading to the new Montgomery Club, a trolley operated by the Washington and Great Falls Railway and Power Company, carried members to the club. The trolley tracks followed the path that is now the route of Bradley Boulevard.
Read more at “Club History” on the Bethesda Country Club website.