Walter E. Tuckerman purchased a large farm in Bethesda, subdivided it and reserved the central block for a sports center for the residents of the new community called Edgemoor. By 1920 Mr. Tuckerman had built two tennis courts in an open field and sold the whole block to the residents while holding the mortgage for most of the purchase money. For that first year, residents built a small grandstand and a sturdy framework over which was stretched a shade awning. The Club initiation fee was $25 and annual dues were $15. The club’s most famous pro, Wimbledon champion Pauline Betz Addie (above), came to Edgemoor in 1955 and stayed eight years.
Source: “A brief history of the Edgemoor Club” on the Edgemoor Club website